Powered By Blogger

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Fall Preparations

The corn stalks are swishing in the wind – no they are actually being invaded by small gray bandits.  My fall pumpkin scene with faded corn stalks and dried corn is serving as meals for the squirrels.



 The old timers and also the Farmer's Almanac say that we will have a bad winter because of the abundance of squirrels scrounging for food and also the many large wooly caterpillars.  It is entertaining to watch the gray bandits as they nibble on the corn as if to store up enough sustenance to prepare for the cold weather. 

How do I prepare to feed on the nourishment of the word of God to help me sustain the winter of my life?  Am I diligently searching for the nuggets of truth found in God’s word and then feeding on the abundant supply he has provided?  He has not only provided me with a seasonal landscape of brick red, orange and gold leaves, plump pumpkins, colorful mums and harvested corn stalks but also the cool weather and shorter days to allow me more time to read and reflect on his provision.

 The summer has been busy with gardening, canning and freezing the produce to enjoy in winter.   God’s word is my daily nourishment to feed my soul and also to prepare for what is ahead.  How am I preparing for the “winter” of my life when I may not feel the warmth of the sun and wonder if the showers of blessings have ceased?   
Proverbs 6:6

Take a lesson from the ants, you lazy fellow. Learn from their ways and be wise! For though they have no king to make them work, yet they labor hard all summer, gathering food for the winter.But you—all you do is sleep. When will you wake up? 10 “Let me sleep a little longer!” Sure, just a little more! 11 And as you sleep, poverty creeps upon you like a robber and destroys you; want attacks you in full armor.

No comments:

Post a Comment